|GayWool Dye - Canada & the United States
Making Fiber Fun - Yarn - Roving & More
Online Farm Shop
"Everyone who had blue, purple or scarlet yarn or fine linen, or goat
hair, ram skins dyed red or the other durable
leather brought them." Exodus 35:23
|Shepherd's Cross is the Gaywool Dye Distributor for all of North America -
Canada & United States
Easy . . . Colorfast . . . Economical . . . Reproducible . . . Quick . . . Broad Color Spectrum
Shepherd's Cross is grateful to be the distributor for Gaywool Dyes in North America (Canada and the United States). The story of
the development of Gaywool Dyes follows:
To understand where the Gaywool name originated we believe that it requires some explanation. It starts with some colourful
early history and carriers through to the present day.
In 1807 John Youl, was sent as a layman preacher to Tahiti in the Pacific islands to work as a missionary .During this time many
of his companions at the missionary had come to an unfortunate end and found themselves in hot water with the native population
. Luckily for him, John Youl was not a very well built man. He was tall & skinny .He had been observed by the natives shaving every
morning with his trusty razor. The natives Tahitians gave him a chance of survival if he could shave the chiefs beard and also the
other men in the village without spilling any blood. This he managed to achieve and some time later, he made his way to the new
colony of New South Wales (Australia).
After settling in Sydney, NSW John Youl became very good friends with Dr Thomas Arndell. Dr Arndell was appointed as the
assistant surgeon to the new settlement of NSW . He was one of seven assistant surgeons to Dr White on the first fleet to
Australia with Governor Phillip. He was later appointed as surgeon at Paramatta . Because of this friendship, the name Arndell,
was incorporated into John Youls family name. In 1810, John Youl married Jane Loder and they named their first son James
In 1815 John Youl was ordained as an Angligan priest . In 1818 he was commissioned by Earl Bathurst to become the first
chaplain at Port Darymple, Northern Van Diemens Land (Tasmania). Reverend Youl & his family arrived in Van Diemens Land in
1818 to start work in the new Parish.
James Arndell Youl became a successful grazier but is best remembered for introducing trout & salmon to Australasian waters.
Early attempts in 1841 & 1852 of transporting ova from England to Australia had failed and also shipments in 1860 & 1862 but
finally in 1864, with the help of many people, thousands of ova were packed in moss and stored in the ships ice-vault , and the
living ova arrived safely in Tasmania.
Foreward to the late 1960’s
The family connection to Dr Arndell continued and in 1967 Gillian Arndel Youl (married name Thomas), a farmer and enthusiastic
hand spinner of wool started a business specializing in breeding coloured sheep for handspinners & weavers. To start her flock
she initially purchased sheep from other farmers in the district . She started her breeding program with 10 throwback corriedale
ewes. She then purchased a Border Leicester Ram in order to obtain a long fleece. Over a period of time she built her flock of
sheep & her business and also started her own shop. Her customers were far and wide and the wool was sent to many parts of
Australia and also to the United States, Canada & Holland. Gill also became the first distributor of Ashford Spinning wheels in
With her family involved in the business her son Chris ,suggested that there should be even more colour in the business and with
the assistance of an Industrial Chemist, Barry Harding from Coats Patons Launceston developed some easy to use, quality dyes
for the home dyer. In 1974 the dyes were first packed and distributed in an old shearing shed on the family farm Gayfield,
Longford Tasmania. Years later the dyes were now being sent & distributed to many parts of the world including, the USA,
Canada, United Kingdom & Japan.
The name of the business came from the initials of Gillian Arndell Youl. (GAY.) Her husband was Richard Field Thomas and the
business was originally called Gayfield Wool and then later changed to Gaywool.
Gaywool Dyes continues to be in the family with the name of Arndell given to some family members. . Gill is now in her 80’s and
her enthusiasm and energy for life is admired by her many family & friends.
|Wholesale Dealers or Inquiries
Please contact us by phone or email or snail mail to establish a wholesale account.
We receive wholesale orders from Wholesale Dealers with established accounts, by
telephone 918.342.5911 or fill out the email form below
Tuesday thru Saturday
Tours available Th, Fri & Sat
or other days by appointment
Extended Hours & Days
for Special Events
Sundays & Mondays
New Year's week &
|Applications for Wholesale Accounts are generally
processed within 24 business hours. Orders are generally
filled with 24 business hours. Closed Sunday & Monday.
16792 East 450 Road,
Claremore, OK 74017-0935
Hwy 66 & then 2.5 miles East on Akin Road
(EW 45 Road or EW 450 Road)